Writing for Robots

Writing for Robots

According to recent statistics from Incapsula, Robots outnumber Humans on the Internet.  What does that mean for your website?  You should be writing for the Robots more than the Humans.  If you’re a verbose writer, this plays in to your hands.  If you don’t like writing much, fortunately for you, humans don’t like to read much.  But, the words we use must be carefully selected and worded in a way that conveys the point without muddling the intent.  Some tips on writing the copy for your website will help.

The Incapsula statistics show that humans now make up only 44% of all visitors to websites on the Internet leaving 56% to the Robots of various sorts.  27% of those are Good Robots and Search Robots such as Google’s Web Crawlers.  The remaining 29% are left to the Bad Bots, Hackers, Spammers, and the like.

Is your website programmed optimally for those Robots that are visiting your website.  Obviously, it’s not the 29% of Bad Bots we’re trying to attract, but the 27% are the ones we are focusing on.  Writing copy for your website will require some of the following points:

  • Humans First:  Write the copy for your Human visitors first.  The top 1/3rd of the web page should be devoted to your human visitors.  They still comprise 44% and will decide quickly whether they want to be on your website or not.  Capture them quickly.
  • Short and Sweet:  Humans don’t have the time to read.  Make your website pop with bulleted points that are short and on topic.  Keep it in the top 1/3rd of the web page.
  • Limit Graphic Size:  Don’t make your graphics overpowering.  Humans like pictures, but they shouldn’t overpower the web page. We want to capture the interest of Humans quickly, but there has to be information and it has to be to the point.  Graphics are nice but take time to load and can muddle the point of the web page.
  • Write for Robots:  Robots are smarter than most people can imagine.  They can see logical words and sentences.  A bunch of disordered thoughts are not going to fool the average Search Engine Algorithm.  Make the words and sentences logical and on topic.  But, you can put this information below the top 1/3rd of the web page where Humans rarely tread.  Robots will go there.
  • Limit Graphics:  Don’t load up the web page with a bunch of graphics.  They will slow down the download of the page and will keep Humans AND Robots from enjoying it.  Robots are looking at how fast a page is loading as part of whether the page is relevant.  Keep the page loading quickly and you will help everyone.
  • Be Mobile:  Don’t neglect your mobile readers, be they Human or Robot.  Make sure your website is mobile ready either through a Responsive Design or Mobile Specific website version.  You will be dropped from Mobile Searches if you don’t take care to ensure you are mobile friendly.

It’s a complex world.  The Internet is even more complex.  Keep your website on track, on topic, and loading quickly, and you will keep everyone happy.

Are you Writing for Robots? Do you have advice or findings to share with others? Please leave a comment below and join the conversation. If all of this befuddles you, belittles your being, begging and befoddering your brain, belying your intellect…not to worry, PTC Computer Solutions is an expert on this stuff and is here to help. It’s what we do. Contact info@ptccomputersolutions.com or go to our website at www.ptccomputersolutions.com for more information. We are always at the ready.

Online marketing is an incredibly dynamic environment with a tremendous number of moving parts. It is a constantly changing world. You do what you do best. Let us do what we do best. Keeping involved and staying ahead of the latest technologies is what we do at PTC Computer Solutions. If you are looking to get noticed on the Internet but don’t know where to begin, let PTC Computer Solutions help you get started or help improve your current website and website marketing plan and budget.

Among everything else we do, PTC can plan a full marketing strategy and budget for your company and complete any marketing efforts, web or otherwise, you wish to achieve in order to deliver a consistent and effective message to your prospects. Contact David W. B. Parker (when you think of “W. B.” think of WeB) at davidp@ptccomputersolutions.com or go to our web site at www.ptccomputersolutions.com for more information.

By David W. B. Parker
PTC Computer Solutions

PTC Computer Solutions - Internet, Web Sites, SEO, Online Marketing


PTC Computer Solutions – Internet, Web Sites, SEO, Online Marketing

PTC Computer Solutions
Jacksonville Beach, Florida

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *