Are You Mobile Ready?
On April 21st, Google made some very important changes to the way it handles searches. The virtual world as we know it has changed and you had better change too.
Mobile-friendly websites will be more important than ever for business searchability. The team at PTC Computer Solutions has been working hard over the last year to make sure all of their clients are Mobile Ready, but if you weren’t on that list, read on.
With the goal of ensuring that results are as mobile-friendly as possible, the new algorithm change from Google comes in the wake of increasing mobile device usage. Although the deadline has come and gone and the new changes have gone into place, website owners who have not yet taken action still have time to do so and avoid possible penalties, including a drop in their rankings.
Google changed its mobile search algorithm. This change gives top priority to websites that Google deems “mobile friendly”. This change only affects searches on mobile devices…for now.
However, if your website is not mobile friendly, this change could cause you to lose 1/3rd of your traffic, depending on your audience.
Recent data shows that not everyone is on target:
- 291% increase in mobile traffic from 2013 to 2014
- 67% of Fortune 100 companies are not mobile friendly
- 61% of total web traffic comes from mobile
As of April 21st, mobile-friendly sites are rising to the top of mobile searches. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you want to clear the mobile-friendly hurdle:
- Googlebot must be allowed to scan your CSS and JS tiles to be dubbed mobile friendly.
- Small text and flash video will pose a problem for your mobile-friendly
- Google will judge your site’s mobile friendliness on a page by page
- Google will weigh the loading time for images and other content in its
- Tablets will not be affected by Google’s new algorithm changes – for now.
- App download and other types of interstitials will hurt your mobile-friendly
There are three popular approaches to offering a passable desktop and mobile experience:
- Responsive Design – Pages are built to collapse elegantly as their window view is resized.
- Dynamlc Serving – Pages recognize the device they’re viewed on and serve the appropriate code.
- Alternate Mobile Page – Mobile users are routed to a separate URL specifically designed for
Mobile First is a mantra sweeping the design community. With a growing share of web traffic coming from mobile devices, designers are now finding it easier to scale up from an initial mobile-minded design as opposed to compressing information into an increasingly tiny space.
NOW WHAT ?
Take Google’s Mobile Friendly Test – Find out whether your page is going to get that coveted mobile-friendly stamp.
Read Google’s Mobile SEO Guide – Google offers a pretty comprehensive guide to winning their own game.
Steps you can take to boost your site’s mobile friendliness.
The following steps will ensure that you are prepared:
- Review your site to make sure it is mobile friendly.
- Gauge whether the touch elements on your site, including buttons and links, are spaced away from other elements and are easy to use,
- Redirect mobile users on desktop URLs to the appropriate mobile URL, if you use separate URLs.
- Avoid cross links that are not relevant.
- If possible, avoid having your website rely on Flash, as it does not play well in mobile-specific browsers.
- Evaluate page load time.
A well-optimized mobile website can help you to achieve higher mobile search engine results rankings, while also making it easier for customers to locate the information they need about your business.
Are you Optimized for Mobile users? Do you have advice or findings to share with others? Please leave a comment below and join the conversation. If all of this befuddles you, belittles your being, begging and befoddering your brain, belying your intellect…not to worry, PTC Computer Solutions is an expert on this stuff and is here to help. It’s what we do. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or go to our website at www.ptccomputersolutions.com for more information. We are always at the ready.
Online marketing is an incredibly dynamic environment with a tremendous number of moving parts. It is a constantly changing world. You do what you do best. Let us do what we do best. Keeping involved and staying ahead of the latest technologies is what we do at PTC Computer Solutions. If you are looking to get noticed on the Internet but don’t know where to begin, let PTC Computer Solutions help you get started or help improve your current website and website marketing plan and budget.
Among everything else we do, PTC can plan a full marketing strategy and budget for your company and complete any marketing efforts, web or otherwise, you wish to achieve in order to deliver a consistent and effective message to your prospects. Contact David W. B. Parker (when you think of “W. B.” think of WeB) at email@example.com or go to our web site at www.ptccomputersolutions.com for more information.
By David W. B. Parker
PTC Computer Solutions