So, you want to be #1 on the Google search. No problem. You get emails every day promising this. Anyone can do that, right? Wrong!!! No one can promise that, no matter what they say. With the changing dynamic that IS the internet, there is no way to guarantee you will be at the top. However, there are a number of things you can do to move your web site high up the list and maybe even in to the #1 spot. Here are some tips to do that:
- Analyze what words (keywords) are best for finding your web site. Think long and hard about what the primary words or word phrases are that someone might search on to find your web site. Know these phrases and don’t try to be too encompassing. Use these words and word phrases to analyze how high they rank on searching the web utilizing such tools as Google Tools and Bing Tools.
- Getting your page title right. Once you understand the best words for finding your web site, you can concentrate on getting your page titles right. Try to keep your page titles concise and relevant. Make the title of your page this phrase. Make a different title for each page of your website. That is the easiest way to convey maximum relevancy.
- Optimize the URL for the page so that the keywords appear in it in the right order. Change the URL of the page utilizing best use naming skills. For any Blogs, change the title to reflect the best words for the search engines to find this page.
- Maximize the content relevancy and make sure your primary keywords are scattered at least a few times around the page. It will be easier if there is more content. People don’t read much these days, so this is content you might want to put lower in the view pane for those interested in reading more. Google does not like keyword stuffing, so make the content relevant and readable. Add your keywords or synonyms for your keywords into the sub-headings on your page if you can. People just want to see bullet points with less to read or pictures they can click, so don’t force people to read. It’s for the search engines not the people.
- Work on getting links to point to any page on your website. The quality of the link is important, but any link is better than no link. Linking in to your web site from any source will help. You can build these utilizing your social media as well as generating buzz with networking and press.
- Get as many links pointing directly to a page you want to rank well. Typically, the concentration is on the homepage but all pages on the web site are of importance and some searches will end up on these pages before they end up on the homepage. This can be helped with pointing a link from your homepage to an inner page you want to rank high for a specific search phrase. The anchor text of the link should be the exact phrase you want that page to get ranked for. Then, also try to get other websites to link to that page too. Don’t become overly concerned about getting relevant anchor text with every link. Take any link you can get. Remember that links are worth much more than just for the anchor text relevancy boost. If you can get a link from a trustworthy source, then by all means get it no matter what anchor text it uses.
The best way to improve your ranking is to improve your relevancy. Controlling those things on your web site are easiest. Improve your on-page score by improving the title, fixing the URL and adding good content to the page. Beyond that you are going to have to try to get other sites to link to you. High quality links are the big difference maker.
If you are looking to get noticed on the Internet but don’t know where to begin, let PTC Computer Solutions help you get started or help improve your current website and website marketing plan. PTC can plan a full marketing strategy and budget for your company and complete any web marketing efforts you wish to achieve in order to deliver a consistent and effective message to your prospects. Contact David W. B. Parker (when you think of “W. B.” think of WeB) at email@example.com or go to www.ptccomputersolutions.com for more information.
By David W. B. Parker
PTC Computer Solutions